Friday, June 10, 2011

Mr. Popper's Penguins - book/movie comparison

My daughter and I saw Mr. Popper's Penguins last night.  Let's just say that I was pleasantly surprised.  The movie was really cute and family friendly.  There were more differences between the book and movie than there were similiarities.  A major difference was that Mr. Popper from the book was a painter that struggled to make ends meet, especially during the winter months.  Mr. Popper from the film, Jim Carrey, was a real-estate developer and money apparently was not an issue for him.  Both Poppers had two children, the book version of Popper was a married man, and the film version was a divorced father of two.
In the book, Mr. Popper's Penguins, Mr. Popper had written to Admiral Drake - a world famous explorer whom he admired a great deal.  Admiral Drake sent him a penguin.  The film version's Mr. Popper's father is an explorer and has passed away. Mr. Popper's  inheritance is a penguin. Of course the penguins cause many disruptions to the Popper family and Mr. Popper's livliehood.  In the end, the penguins repair the rift in the Popper family and Mr. and Mrs. Popper's love is rekindled (awwwwwwwww).  Just as in the book, the penguins are returned back to their polar home where they belong.  The book has Mr. Popper going to the Antartic with the explorers to return the penguins and the film version has the entire Popper family going to the Antartic. 
I have to honestly say that I enjoyed the film version very much - even more so than the book.  I know, I know.  The book is a classic and I am glad I read it - it's a favorite of my daughter.  I love Jim Carrey and was very impressed that the movie was so family friendly.  The film was very nicely done.  Two flippers up!

No comments:

Post a Comment