Friday, June 10, 2011

The Three Pigs - Caldecott Winner 2002

     The 2002 Caldecott winner went to David Wiesner for The Three Pigs.  Wiesner must be some kind of genius to have come up with the concept of the pigs taking control of the story.  Not only did the pigs take control, they found their way into other favorite nursery ryhmes and stories.  The use of speech bubbles was pretty cool as well.  
    I truly love any three pigs story - my alltime favorite being The True Story of the Three Pigs by Jon Scieszka.  TheThree  Little Pigs is the bedtime story my daughter repeatedly asked for each and every night - not for me to read, but to tell complete with knocking on the door with my knocking on the headboard.  I appreciate the creative thinking that went into the making of this book, but it is not my favorite Wiesner piece - that distinction belongs to Flotsam.  I do beleive that children would love this book and that it would be one that they would spend a lot of time with looking at each illustration very carefully.  The details are amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment