Thursday, June 9, 2011

The Graveyard Book - 2009 Newbery Winner


I tried as long as I could to avoid the Twilight series movies.  I was flipping channels one day and to my delight the Starz channel was FREE for the entire weekend.  Well, I was sucked into the craziness of Bella's world.  I spent the next week researching vampires and werewolves on the internet.  The Graveyard Book was just as much fun if not more.  I've even sent it home with my mom to read - she's enjoying it too!
     I found it interesting that it took Neil Gaiman twenty years to complete this book.  Gaiman got the idea for the story when his son was very young and was riding his tricycle in a cemetery.  The story begins with a family being slaughtered in their own home - ewwwww.  The baby of the family, the book's main character, has escaped his crib to explore.  In doing so, he also escapes the fate the rest of his family did not. He toddles up the hill to the village cemetery and is taken in by the ghosts that make it their home.  The toddler is given the name Nobody Owens and is given guidance, love, and protection from all of the inhabitants of the graveyard.
     The story is suspenseful, unpredictable, and lots of fun.  Of course, I cried at the end when it was time for Bod (short for Nobody) to move on.  I loved this book and I think the older students in my school would as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment